Sunday, November 20, 2011

More Thanksgiving

Have you ever noticed that it almost takes as long to pack and get ready for a trip as it does to actually go on the trip?  After

cleaninglaundrytrashshoppingforautomaticfishfeederpackingwrapping and doing a pile of dishes

I'm ready for a vacation.

We're Colorado bound, over the passes with Grandma, Grandpa and Great Grandma for an 11 hour "jaunt" in Mike's Chevy Silverado.  I actually like driving over the passes in a truck.  When I went to college, I had this tin can sized Toyota hatchback that I'd drive back and forth over the continental divide.  I would have been safer holding an umbrella while riding a donkey.  I remember one Thanksgiving getting snowed in at Vail pass (about 8 million miles above sea level), sitting by the indoor pool of the Holiday Inn and studying for my astronomy test.  The roads were so slick cars were sliding back down the mountain, and people were leap frogging out of their cars to push the cars in front of them.  I remember the puddles of water on the Pizza Hut tiled floor, left there from the snow melting off of stranded travelers' shoes.  I remember being glad that after 8 hours in the car creeping along a stretch of road that usually took 2 hours to cover, we were finally given permission to be late to school.

The story takes place miles before you arrive, so be not anxious while covering that ground.  Just pay attention, and take a few notes for the next fella that comes down this way.

1 comment:

  1. I thought of you tonight. We were watching a movie (a REALLY good one, "Far and Away" with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, I'd highly recommend it). At one point when a LOT of things were going wrong for the main characters, of whom I was getting very fond, I said, "Lisa always says you have to let bad things happen to characters you love, but I'm not sure things can get much worse!" They got a lot worse and then a lot better. I would have been really mad if it wasn't a happy ending. :)

    Anyway, just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you...have a wonderful time with your family!! And I very much like your last two sentences. God's written our story already...we just get to see what happens next. :) :)

    ReplyDelete