Sunday, November 13, 2011

Whales, Hallmark Christmas Specials, and Maya Angelou for the Win

1.  Like most folks in similar boats, I may be experiencing that point after you've completed something massive, like having to read Moby Dick in three different languages (one of which is whale), like crossing the ocean in the blue cap you get off the top of a gallon of milk, something like getting 3/4 through the journey and realizing you've had the anchor down this whole time because you forgot to let the Captain call the shots.  At Mom's today, I found myself drifting aimlessly and letting out huge breaths, like I actually had a whale spout.  I know there are seasons not just in our life, but in our weeks, in or days, and I am looking forward to the season of rest coming up, a chance to dock, take stock, walk around the block.  Buy some chalk.  Okay.  I was running out of rhymes.


2.  I rarely sit down during the day to watch a movie, so when I found myself watching a Hallmark Christmas special with Grandma, Mom and Nora today, it felt like some rare treat.  Nora was having trouble watching me sit down, but we eventually worked through it.  (Um, yeah.  I let her play pbskids video games.)  I had to hide the fact that I was really enjoying the Hallmark special by camouflaging my interest with sarcastic comments:  "Mom.  Grandma.  I think I'm in love with this movie."  "Uh oh.  My Hallmark Mystery Sleuth is kicking in.  I'm fairly certain that she is going to eventually find the lottery ticket stuck to her son's shoe, forgive her love interest for lying about stealing her car, AND enjoy a surprise ending where he buys and remodels her dream cafe."  "Uh oh.  I think I'm in love with that guy now, too, but there's so much that's coming between us--he's in love with her and he's a fictional character in a Hallmark movie.  I haven't got a chance with this guy."  This stinks because I could have used a little help with a few remodeling projects myself.


3.  Maya Angelou for the win (everyone is saying this "for the win" thing these days, so I thought I'd get hip, too):  "A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her."


I could write an entire blog post about this.  And, you know what, maybe I will.  Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment