Sunday, September 4, 2011

Wow, so this is what it's like to take a day of rest. Thumbs up.

Slow waking with coffee then dressed for church (a miracle in itself as it would be easier to get a porcupine into a tuxedo than it is to get Nora ready in the morning).

Communion even after I wasn't sure it would happen when Nora starts to panic in the pews and I pick her up explaining she can't talk when pastor is talking.  I see a tray of cookies waiting for everyone post-service and I sneak one with M & M's knowing that what this kid needs is food.  I hold her as she cries and eats her cookie, swaying right outside the doors of the church.  She finishes the last bite, takes a deep breath, and I carry her back in, sitting beside our friends, walking up and kneeling, the purple and yellow light on the floor a sign that I made it.

Coffee in a mug on the road after Sunday School and Bible study directly to Grandma's house we go.

An entire afternoon of sitting on Mom's porch crocheting dishcloths while the cousins play in the sandbox.

Helping Mom dust and refill her pottery store.  Nora picks out a pie bird and I pick out a pie plate, homemade potter's clay in the color of ivory earth.  The peaches, a gift from a friend whose girls picked over 39 pounds at a local orchard, soon to become a pie.  My first.  Unbelievable.

Holding a baby and the slow rock as he drinks his bottle and I see the trees and blue reflecting in his eyes from above and he is seeing heaven and I see heaven in the eyes of a child.

A meal cooked listening to Ella Fitzgerald, slowly as the onions turn golden, the garden tomatoes all red and golden working down to a sauce poured over chicken and noodles and fresh mozzarella.  Eating mindful at the table dreaming of what I'll do with the carrots in the garden--Asian carrot pickles.

Watching Phineas and Ferb with Nora cuddled on the couch. (I rearranged again, making a little corner office space behind the couch.  Everything works perfectly especially with a little jazz playing).

Reading and guffawing at The Cat Who Wore a Pot on Her Head, snuggling to sleep, a bath of lavender and sea salt and candles lit inside antique blue canning jars.  Reading.  And now to curl up on the couch and watch I Dream of Jeannie, naturally.






1 comment:

  1. Whoa. That sounds amazing. So glad you had such a good day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete