Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday

The day begins after a restless night, a daughter's ear aching and nightmares that keep us up for the better part of the night and even though I was moving in some strange haze today, I found stability in simple, food-oriented activities.  Eating.  Yes, this is one of them.

And because complete sentences require slightly more energy:
More pickles canned.
Herbs hung to dry in the mudroom, the whole place that earthy smell of natural remedies.
Finished the book this morning that has been the focus of my Bible study lately.  Praying to find the right one to follow.
An upside down peach cake like my grandma used to make.

A sidenote to Jaimie:  Ila (eye-lah)--is the woman for whom this house was built back in '49.  She lived here with her husband, raised 3 kids, canned, gardened, and played music until about 4 years ago when she had to move due to health issues.  She's 91 now, and just lost her husband in January.  I've only gotten to know her from living here and visiting her.  She is a sweet, sweet woman and I admire her so much for all the time she spent here and the legacy she left in flowers and fruit trees.  I've been so blessed to be allowed to live here because this house was a gift from her mother in law to her.  So was the piano downstairs.  Her mother in law's name was Ina.  So, the house has been loved by Ina, Ila, Lisa and Nora--all "ah" names--the sound one makes when things are good.  "Ah...."

I missed a Star Belle gig tonight at Utica days, but Nora was able to get to sleep early, and we'll be heading to the doc tomorrow to check on her ear.  School is starting in 3 weeks, I still have a lot to do to finish up the summer term, weeds galore, a dirty house, some laundry, time with a little one to spend, a garden that is about to drop a slew of tomatoes, groceries to grab.  And when I'm feeling overwhelmed, when I let important things slip through the cracks (please forgive me, Laurie), I take it one day, one moment at a time and pray for His help, the help that supplies all I need to do what He has willed from one moment to the next.  This is all that can and should be done.  And what a blessing to have such simple, beautiful things to put my hands into.

3 comments:

  1. "Be still and know that I am God", "Come unto me all you weak and heavy laden and I will give you rest", "Let my prayer rise before you as incense. The lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice." Those are my words for when I'm in the weeds. The weeds can be everywhere, but we get through 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we ever. If it weren't for friends my weeds would be taking over my life. Thank you for these verses, Hope. They were meant for Lisa but they meant a lot to me, too. :)

    Lisa, we would love to have Nora over to play sometime once her ear is better. Maybe for a whole day so you can do some canning, weeding, studying, thinking, playing, whatever-ing.

    We sure missed you tonight and can't wait until the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your words, Mrs. Dunbar, and Lisa, I really needed this--"I take it one day, one moment at a time and pray for His help, the help that supplies all I need to do what He has willed from one moment to the next. This is all that can and should be done. And what a blessing to have such simple, beautiful things to put my hands into."

    I know the overwhelmed feeling. That's why I'm reading this instead of doing dishes. There are so many. (Yes, with only two people...)

    I can do it. All things. Through Him, who gives me strength.

    And thank you for telling me (us) about Ila. :) What a lovely legacy to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete