Saturday, October 22, 2011

JOY: Where All the Dark Spaces Bloom

1.  I'm watching my friends lean into it, listening and ready and responding.

2.  Today, I put a taco filling recipe in the crock pot this morning and wanting to go back and eat another 5 pounds of it right now.  Is there anything a crock pot can't make delicious?  Should everything be slow cooked?  Is there a relationship between slowness and memory and taste?  Is this simply what happens when we savor the moment, the moment that took 7 hours on low to get here?  Mmmhmmm.

3.  We found a National Geographic planetarium thing at Et. Cetera and waiting patiently for the sun to go down so Nora and I could turn off all the lights in her room and talk about the stories people made up about the stars.  Nora:  "And that one is Saturn, and like the rings.  And I think that other one might be God.  You know.  You can tell by the size and shape."

4.  I'm encouraging Nora to go to church with me tomorrow.  We've been having a real problem getting there without a struggle and then being there without Nora talking louder than Pastor does.  I remember once taking Nora to ride ponies, and she said after a turn around the yard, "Can I go again?"  And I said, "I don't know.  What does the pony think?"  And the man holding the reigns said, "Usually, we don't consult the pony about those kinds of decisions."  I think every parent struggles with the balance between getting a kid's input on decisions and simply laying it down and saying, "This is how we do it."  I don't think church is optional, but I'm not sure how to keep the morning peaceful.  If you've ever taken a younger person to church with you, you know what I'm talking about.  It's stressful.  I need creative ideas for how to make it easy on both of us.  I can tell you that I need church.  I need to be in a room with people who are singing songs to God, taking time to be present, to occupy that holy space in peace, in love, in forgiveness.

5.  It's already 11 PM, but I think I'm going to watch a movie anyway...it's all just an empty excuse to eat popcorn, actually.  Or cheese.  Or taco filling.

4 comments:

  1. I am no expert, but I agree with the necessity of peace. I also agree about the non-negotiable things. Maybe you could find a middle ground and take something special for her. I use tic-tacs. I do not think bribes are a good thing, but my kids get a tic-tac if we make it to scripture. Then the sermon. Then through the sermon. And so on. They really behave for those silly little two calorie breath mints. Best wishes to you, friend. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm. Taco filling. I'm not sure what's all in it, but if you say it's good, I know it is. :)

    I agree with the pony-ride-guy. There are some decisions that are not up to children, ever, because they don't know what's good for them (parents do). And going to church is one of those things. So you tell Nora, "It's Sunday, and we're going to church, because that's what we do." It's about JESUS. Church is a Gospel thing, not a Law thing. Which means no, we don't HAVE to go...but think of what God does for US through Word and Sacrament! Besides, Nora likes preschool. I'm sure she'd like Sunday School. And isn't there a nursery she could visit during church if sitting still for an hour is too much?

    You both need it. I'll be praying for you in the morning that Satan doesn't get in your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say that I did a good solid six years of church appearances that were more like a cage match/circus than reverant contemplation. I try to plan it with the snack or special thing (suckers are great 'cause they don't talk much when they are trying to see how many licks it takes) for the sermon. Feed her, feed yourself and don't sweat the noise.

    ReplyDelete