Saturday, March 31, 2012

Today

Oh, lovely.  All of it.   After Nora fell asleep, I went to check on the pansies outside and was wooed by the stars and breeze and the little toad hopping by, hypnotized by the anntenna lights and the blossoming crabapples.  I wouldn't trade this for any city in the world.  Anyway...here's today's story:


We filled up Nora's kiddy pool, ate a few cheez its and planted pansies in containers for the front porch.  Nora dug up part of the yard looking for dinosaur bones.  I'm sure the grass will be just fine.  In a few weeks.


 We drove out to the Day Lilly farm last week and picked up a tray of pansies.  They're tough little flowers, and I love their sweet little petal faces.



I can not even explain the joy of crawling into bed at the end of the day and smelling all this wind.


What could be better than a roller coster straw?  TWO roller coster straws, naturally.


I mowed the yard this morning, came inside and vacuumed and was suddenly struck with gratitude that carpet doesn't grow.  That would be weird.  Anyway, about the sun tea...I like it.


Mom and Nora made these last week.  I love them, too.


Here are the crabapple trees trying to compete with my red truck.

I read this earlier tonight:

"She stared.  Such beauty; and she there to see it.  Such beauty; and she alive to feel it.  Her face was bathed in light.  Lovely scents came up to the window and caressed her.  A tiny breeze gently lifted her hair...How beautiful, how beautiful.  Not to have died before this...to have been allowed to see, breathe, feel this...She stared, her lips parted.  Happy?  Poor, ordinary, everyday word.  But what could one say, how could one describe it?"

-- Elizabeth von Arnim from her novel The Enchanted April



No comments:

Post a Comment