Thursday, December 16, 2010

Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing, Mama

Too much on my mind:

1.  The madness of shoppers and the parking lots surrounding them.

2.  Nora wanting to talk (shy, hesitant, afraid to uncover it) tonight before bed about what to do when kids make fun of you.  My nose stings.  I bury the tears before they emerge (the awkward girl-self, the too tall, too strange looking, high-water pants, gap-toothed, wallflower, third wheel).  You tell them this is how God made you and He doesn't make mistakes, Nora.  In my mind I'm thinking: run.  Run away from them.  Get as far away from those words as possible.   Tell them this:  Go defeat someone else.  I've got work to do.  It took me so long to learn this.  I learned it from you.

3.  Art and motherhood.  Motherhood and art.  Who first said there was a conflict there?  Again, I say:  Go defeat someone else.  They are one and the same.

4.  I paint.  I plant. I write.  I see.  I love.  I pray.  I cook.  I listen.  I long.  I sing.  In me, there is no difference between my life and my art, my prayer and my life.

Everybody needs a change
A chance to check out the new
But you're the only one to see
The changes you take yourself through 


Don't you worry 'bout a thing
Don't you worry 'bout a thing, mama
Cause I'll be standing on the side
When you check it out

2 comments:

  1. My favorite Sunday School teacher used to tell us (pardon the poor grammar), "God don't make junk." He doesn't. Ever.

    In you, in Nora, I see the farthest things from junk. God is creating in and through you wonderful things. How marvelous that you- that we all- are tools in His hands!

    I wish there was no difference between me, my prayer and my life. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my sister, I learn so much from you - see so much GodLife in you.

    I stumble a little any time I want to add that small tag of description to your name when I'm telling someone a story. "My friend Lisa" isn't quite right, but neither is "My professor." They're close. But I think from now on I'll just use "sister." After a long time of knowing everything as the oldest, always setting the rules and winning card games, God is teaching me how to love like a little sister. And a little like a young aunt - give Nora a little piece of my heart for added strength. I will be praying that God protects her beauty from the crushing weight of the world.

    ReplyDelete